Friends of the Library & Bylaws
FRIENDS OF THE AVOYELLES PUBLIC LIBRARIES, L.L.C. BY-LAWS
The full and legal name of this organization is the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C., and hereinafter referred to as FRIENDS. The organization’s short name is Friends of the Libraries.
The purpose of the FRIENDS is:
- To establish closer relations between the Avoyelles Parish Library and the people it serves.
- To promote informed interest in its function, resources, services, and needs.
- To confer with the Board of Trustees and the staff of the Library on matters relating to the welfare of the institution.
- To raise funds to enhance and improve the overall operation of the library, to include encouraging and receiving gifts, endowments, and bequests for the use and benefit of the library.
- To support the development of a program for the extension and improvement of the library’s services and resources.
- Membership is open to all persons, corporations, or organizations who share in the purposes of the FRIENDS. Membership is active upon payments of dues.
- There will be five categories of membership:
- Silver Friend
- Gold Friend
- Platinum Friends
Dues corresponding to the categories will be set annually by the members present at the January meeting.
- Each member and a representative of each association, organization, and corporate member, in good standing, shall be entitled to one vote on each matter submitted to a vote at any meeting of the members.
- Any member who has not paid dues for the period exceeding 14 months shall forfeit all rights and privileges of membership and shall be removed from the membership rolls. Members whose dues are in arrears may rejoin by paying back dues.
Dues shall be paid annually at the October meeting.
- The officers of the FRIENDS shall be a president, vice-president, a secretary, and a treasurer.
- Except for the secretary, the officers shall be elected for a term of two years. Officers may be elected for an additional two years, but may not exceed four years. The secretary shall always be the library liaison person appointed by the Librarian. There shall be no limit on the terms of the secretary.
- In December of each year, the President shall appoint a nominating committee composed of at least three members who shall meet and submit a list of nominees for considerations by the membership at the January meeting. Elections shall be held at the January meeting and new officers shall assume their duties at the close of the January meeting.
- The President shall be the chief executive officer of FRIENDS and shall preside at all meetings. The President shall have the power of appointing committee members. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee.
- The Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President in his/her absence or inability to perform. The Vice-President shall assist the President as requested.
- The Secretary shall make and keep a permanent record of all business transacted by any meeting of FRIENDS. The Secretary shall take attendance at all meetings and send a newsletter/e-mail twice a year to all members listing the dates of future meetings. The Secretary shall maintain a permanent file of all official correspondence of FRIENDS and list of its members.
- The Treasurer shall make and keep a permanent record of all monies of FRIENDS and all transactions involving money of FRIENDS. The Treasurer shall report the financial affairs of FRIENDS at each of the monthly meetings.
- The Executive Committee, composed of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer, shall have the power of conducting business between meetings of the membership. Actions taken by the Executive Committee shall be submitted to the membership for ratification at next meeting.
- Any officer, elected or appointed, may be removed with or without cause at any time by a majority of the members present at a meeting. Any office shall automatically become vacant when its holder fails to attend three consecutive meetings without notice.
- The Executive Committee shall have the power to fill vacancies by a majority of the remaining members of the Committee. An officer so elected shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term.
- Meetings will be held monthly with the possible exception of the summer months which will be at the discretion of the President.
- A majority of the members present at a meeting shall constitute a quorum.
- Except as otherwise stated in the Articles of Incorporation or By-Laws, all proceedings of FRIENDS shall be governed by Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised.
- The By-Laws may be amended upon recommendation of the Executive Committee at any meeting of the members.
- Any recommendation of amendment must be submitted to each member in writing at least 14 days before the meeting at which the vote is to take place.
- All organization assets can only be used for library related costs and projects, such as official library programs only as approved by the Friends beforehand. If a situation arises between meetings that requires monetary expenses the executive committee can spend no more than $50. The expenditure will be voted upon at the next meeting.
- In the event of the dissolution of FRIENDS, and prior to the completion thereof, all liabilities and obligations of FRIENDS shall be paid, satisfied, and discharged, and all of the remaining assets, property, and income owned or held by FRIENDS shall be expended or applied to the purpose of FRIENDS or one or more such purposes, by the transferring and conveying of such assets, property, and income to one or more corporations or organization organized and operated exclusively or charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes, to which exemption from income tax has been granted by the Internal Revenue Service.
- No part of such remaining assets, property, or income shall be distributed to members or to any other persons whatsoever.
Board of Directors
Purpose: The Board of Directors of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will serve as a fiduciary agency for grant applications and other budget matters. The Board of Directors shall have full authority to exercise other powers and to perform such lawful activities in which the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. may engage unless prohibited from doing so by law of by this organization’s charter and/or by-laws.
Membership: The Board of Directors of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will consist of the current officers: President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary. In addition, the President of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will appoint three other members to the Board of Directors at the time of his/her installation. These appointees must be members in good standing of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. The President of Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. may fill a vacancy at the time the vacancy occurs, to finish the unexpired term.
Term: Officers of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will serve on the Board of Directors for the duration of their term. Members at large appointed by the President will serve for 2 years, running concurrently with the term of the officers. They may be appointed for an additional 2 years but must leave the Board after a total of 4 years served. The may serve on the Board again after an absence of 2 years.
Meetings: Meetings of the Board of Directors of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will meet on an as needed basis as determined by the President or any officer of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. with a 5 day written notice prior to the meeting sent to the members of the Board.
Quorum: Four members of the Board of Directors present at any meeting will constitute a quorum.
Minutes: Minutes of the Board of Directors of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will be taken by the Secretary of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. or another authorized agent and will be presented at the next monthly meeting of the general membership of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. A copy of the minutes will be sent to the Director of the Avoyelles Parish Library System and all members of the Board of Directors.
Officers: The officers of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will hold the same position on the organization’s Board of Directors.