Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C.
Article I: Name
The full and legal name of this organization is the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C., and hereinafter referred to as FRIENDS. The organization’s short name is Friends of the Libraries.
1. To establish
closer relations between the Avoyelles Parish Library and the people it serves.
2. To promote informed interest in its function, resources, services and needs.
3. To confer with the Board of Trustees and the staff of the Library on matters relating to the welfare of the institution.
4. To raise funds to enhance and improve the overall operation of the library, to include encouraging and receiving gifts, endowments, and bequests for the use and benefit of the library.
5. To support the development of a program for the extension and improvement of the library’s services and resources.
1. Membership is open to all persons, corporations,
or organizations who share in the purposes of the FRIENDS. Membership is active upon payment of dues.
2. There will be five categories of membership:
C. Silver Friend
D. Gold Friend
E. Platinum Friend
Dues corresponding to the categories will be set annually by the members present at the January meeting.3. Each members and a representative of each association, organization, and corporate member, in good standing, shall be entitled to one vote on each matter submitted to a vote at any meeting of the members.
Article IV: Dues
1. Dues shall be paid annually at the October
Article V: Officers1. The officers of the FRIENDS shall be a president, vice-president, a secretary, and a treasurer.
2. Except for the secretary, the officers shall
be elected for a term of two years.
Officers may be elected for an additional two years, but may not exceed
four years. The secretary shall always
be the library liaison person appointed by the Librarian. There shall be no limit on the terms of the
4. The President shall be the chief executive
officer of FRIENDS and shall preside at all meetings. The President shall have the power of
appointing committee members. The
President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating
6. The Secretary shall make and keep a permanent
record of all business transacted by any meeting of FRIENDS. The Secretary shall take attendance at all
meetings and send a newsletter twice a year to all members listing dates of
future meetings. Friends may also be
notified by e-mail, if they wish.. The
Secretary shall maintain a permanent file of all official correspondence of
FRIENDS and a list of members of FRIENDS.
7. The Treasurer shall make and keep a permanent
record of all monies of FRIENDS and all transactions involving money of
FRIENDS. The Treasurer shall report the
financial affairs of FRIENDS at each of the monthly meetings.
8. The Executive Committee, composed of the
President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer, shall have the power of
conducting business between the meetings of the membership. Actions taken by the Executive Committee
shall be submitted to the membership for ratification at its next meeting.
9. Any officer, elected or appointed ex-officio,
may be removed with or without cause at any time by a majority of the members
present at a meeting. Any office shall
automatically become vacant when its holder fails to attend three consecutive
meetings without notice.
10. The Executive Committee shall have the power
to fill vacancies by a majority of the remaining members of the Committee. An officer so elected shall serve for the
remainder of the unexpired term.
1. Meetings will be held monthly with the
possible exception of the summer months which will be at the discretion of the
2. A majority of the members present at a
meeting shall constitute a quorum.
3. Except as otherwise stated in the Articles of
Incorporation or By-Laws, all proceedings of FRIENDS shall be governed by
Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised.
2. Any recommendation of amendment must be
submitted to each member in writing at least 14 days before the meeting at
which the vote is to take place.
Article VIII: Dissolution
2. No part of such remaining assets, property, or income shall be distributed to members or to any other persons whatsoever.
Purpose: The Board of
Directors of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will serve
as a fiduciary agency for grant applications and other budget matters. The Board of Directors shall have full
authority to exercise other powers and to perform such lawful activities in
which the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. may engage unless
prohibited from doing so by law or by this organization’s charter and/or
Membership: The Board of Directors of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will consist of the current officers: President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary. In addition, the President of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. will appoint three other members to the Board of Directors at the time of his/her installation. These appointees must be members in good standing of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C. The President of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries L.L.C. may fill a vacancy at the time the vacancy occurs, to finish the unexpired term.
Officers: The officers of the Friends of the Avoyelles Public Libraries, L.L.C.
will hold the same position on the organization’s Board of Directors.